After its fortification, done by the Fortebracci family, Montone assumed the aspect of an oval shaped castle with a hill on each end. The castle and residence of Prince Braccio from Montone rose on one hill and the minor friars’ convent on the opposite one, next to the St. Francis church.
The residence of Braccio from Montone was on the hill called Monte, where the restaurant is located in an extension of this residence, which was enriched by Fioravante Fioravanti, an architect from Bologna.
Historical documents attest the splendour of this residence, which was decorated by important Perugian artists. The important historian, Pompeo Pellini, states that Braccio’s fortress and castle were amongst the richest in Italy. However, the Fortebraccio family’s fortune did not last long. In 1478 Pope Sixtus IV brought 5000 sappers to Montone with the order to destroy the fortress in three days and three nights. Subsequently ruins.
The destruction was violent but it did not completely cancel the proof of Braccio’s power. Fortunately the horse stables under the castle had not been destroyed and they remained abandoned for many centuries. In more recent times they were used as storage space for the convent, then during World War II they were used as a hide-out for the locals to defend themselves from the fighting and violence.
Claudio’s strong will achieved the restoration of these fabulous stables with vault ceilings so that they could receive guests in their renewed magnificencethe Benedictine St. Catherine convent was built on top of the